TIMBER LAKE PLAYHOUSE seeks the following position starting September 7th 2019
The Scenic Carpenter will work to build all Timber Lake Playhouse productions in repertory – creating platforms, wagons, flats construction using wood and metal, install, transport, and maintain all scenic elements for TLP productions as detailed by the Technical Director and Artistic Director.
All TLP employees are expected to understand and embrace our mission statement, in particular how it is reflected in our commitment to respect and represent diverse ideas, races, genders, sexualities, abilities, cultures, religions, and traditions—on-stage and off.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Model and support the mission and values of TLP.
- Updates the TD daily on work progress and informs them on whether projects will be completed on time.
- Participate in the daily clean-up of the scene shop at the end of each workday.
- Builds scenic elements and rehearsal units for our stage productions.
- Safely deliver and transfer scenic elements to the theatres and rehearsal halls using company vehicles. Drivers will inspect load straps before transport.
- Work load-ins of each production and as called upon by the TD, and assist in changeovers when needed.
- Interprets both construction, and designer drawings.
- Perform basic mathematical calculations in the construction of scenic elements
- Maintains and repairs Scenic elements on all productions as instructed by TD.
- Notifies the TD when inventory of stock materials are low.
- Strikes and restores scenic elements at the end of the production run. When the productions are co-productions, purchased, or rentals, the carpenter will assist in packaging, labeling and loading trucks for safe and protected transport of scenic elements.
Other Duties & Responsibilities
- Repairs and maintains Scenic shop tools and equipment, including a clean and efficient work space and tool cart.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by Technical Director, Associate Technical Director, and scene shop supervisor.
Salary Rate: $250-350/wk
Education: High school diploma or GED
Work Experience: Experience in professional or collegiate theatrical scenic construction.
Qualifications/skills: Basic skills in hands-on construction techniques and standards and the physical capability to operate standard wood working hand and power tools, specifically: saws, routers, staple guns and lathes. Thorough knowledge of carpentry and welding. Ability to read scaled construction or design drawings. General knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
Physical Ability: Must be able to lift and move materials and equipment weighing up to 75 pounds, regularly squat and maintain position while assembling projects, regularly crawl and kneel while assembling projects, regularly reach above shoulders to assemble overhead projects, regularly climb and work from ladders and personnel lifts, occasionally climb vertical ladders, stand and walk for up to 8 hours.
Other Skills, Ability and/or Knowledge: Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing to obtain and explain information. Ability to do shop math. Valid Driver’s License and ability to drive an cargo van. The ability to self-manage a workload in order to meet deadlines. The ability to create a positive working relationship with designers, staff and other departments, even in stressful situations.
Special Hours Requirements: Occasional night-time and weekend hours are required for load-ins, load-outs, and technical rehearsal support.
PREFERRED: A bachelor’s degree with a concentration in technical theatre with an emphasis in scenic construction is preferred. Basic knowledge of AutoCAD or other drafting program. Some knowledge of electrical wiring.Applicant QualificationsEdit–Job SettingsEditHires Needed: 1Expected Hiring Date: 1 to 2 weeksApplication SettingsEditApply method: Email (email@example.com)LanguageEditEnglishAdditional Job DetailsEdit
- Contract Length: 2 months or less
- Work Location: One location
- Typical start time: 10AM
- Typical end time: 10PM
- Pay Frequency: Bi weekly or Twice monthly
- Project Locations: Local
- This Job Is: A good job for someone just entering the workforce or returning to the workforce with limited experience and education, Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- Project Length(s): Less than 3 months
For More Information follow these links: